That is a nice story about Marco Martinelli who joined our team as trainee in early 2017 when he started the preparation of his graduation thesis entitled “Design a Service Operation Vessel (SOV) vessel for special services for the support of offshore wind farms“. We supported him in data collection and in routing the results toward a feasibile project. Graduated with honours, he has been accepted to join our team as active member and employed at the end of 2017.
Below an abstract of the thesis.
The scope of this work is to design a Service Operation Vessel (SOV) vessel for special services for the support of offshore wind farms.
This type of vessel is designated for Operation and Maintenance (O&M) in the wind farm of the North Sea, where the environmental conditions are very severe. In addition to the environmental problems, there are other aspect that influenced the 0&M (and the costs of this operations), for example: the dimensions of the wind turbine or the distance from the shore and the number of the wind turbines.
Therefore, for this project the design requirement studied by Medea to avoid the problems of the maintenance operations are illustrated in the following picture.
The debated aspects on this project are:
- a statistic analysis from similar vessel to deduce the preliminary dimensions of the ship in project;
- the design of a lines plan of the hull;
- the effective power prediction for the hull designed;
- the choice of a propeller;
- the design of transverse thrusters;
- the design of the power distribution system;
- the design of a capacity plan and of a general arrangement;
- the intact and damage stability studies;
- the structural design;
- a study of the station keeping capability of the DP vessel in project and the elaboration of DP Capability plots.
- the Finite Element Analysis of the deck structures for the check of the elements of the structure to the motion compensated gangway loads.
From Trainee to Employee: a story of success made in Medea